In Love with Romance

Butterfly  - Kathryn Harvey, Barbara Wood A woman scorned...

When I first started to read this book for a moment I thought, "are they trying to convert me?" you'll know why if you read it. But then the story began to unfold, and I was shocked when I learned how it all started.

At 14 years of age, Rachel is forced by her mom to leave her home, after her dad back door rapes (sodomizes) her. Sad, isn't it? The mom stays with the husband, I thought what mom does that? Why not call the cops? But then, there are cases just like this in real life. It's heart breaking. She is on her way to California but gets lost. Not only does she get lost, but she also loses whatever little money she had with her, as well as the address that was supposed to be her final destination.

She meets a guy, Danni, who's good to her-- or at least, on the surface, he seems to be. He takes her to Texas, the opposite way to what her destination is supposed to be. On their way, she succumbs to his charms and gifts him with her virginity. After a few days in Texas, he takes her to a house, where she's prostituted for the next two or three years. She doesn't want to do it, but Danni is very persuasive, and makes her believe it's only temporary until he can find something better for the two of them. Talk about being brain washed, and that wouldn't even be a good excuse. I thought, believing something like that was just plain stupid. Then again, looking at the timeline of when this happen, Danni's argument was easy to believe in that day and age. Also, this is a fourteen year old girl... Oh and she never sees a penny from all of her earnings. The woman in charge gives all of Rachel's wages to Danni. Can you believe that?

One day Rachel discovers she's pregnant, and she thinks that is her way out of the whore house she's in. She never expects Danni to react the way he does. He takes her to a butcher, that's what that supposed doctor is, and makes her have an abortion. Not only is she kicked out of the brothel, but the abortion almost kills her, and to top it all off, she can't ever have kids.

She never forgets what Danni did to her that night. He told her he was going places, and how big he'd be. She swore then he'd pay her back every bit of pain she suffered because of him.

Rachel makes it to Hollywood. The owner of a burger joint takes pity on her, and that is the turning point in her life.

The story is LONG, heart breaking, but it is such a GOOD story. Rachel is a victim of one too many things. For starters, she's a victim of rape (her own father! the asshole), she's literally a sex slave for a few years. She's a victim of mental and physical abuse, the list goes on. But what's good about this is that everything that's bad that's happened to her only makes her strong each time. She never loses focus on her mission and vision, and that is revenge on Danni Mackay, who's but a lier and a fraud.

She becomes very well known in the business community. She's well respected. She's a millionaire. And little by little she starts collecting evidence to bring Danni Mackay to his knees. It takes not one year or two, but rather several years to reach the top. She waits for the right moment to unleash her revenge. And how she does it, you can't even imagine! Talk about a woman scorned... on this case, she has every right to do what she does if you ask me.

I don't usually read this type of books. I'm more into all the romance and HEA, and this book does have a HEA just not the kind a romance genre reader is used to see. Oh goodness, but it is so, so, good.

The butterfly symbolizes pain really, but it is the glue to this story.

Above an exclusive men’s store on Rodeo Drive there is a private club called Butterfly, where women are free to act out their secret erotic fantasies. Only the most beautiful and powerful women in Beverly Hills are invited to join: Jessica, a lawyer who longs for the days when men were men, and women dressed to please them; Trudie, a builder who wants a man who will challenge her—all of her—with no holds barred; and Linda, a surgeon, who uses masks to unmask the desires she hides even from herself.

But the most mysterious of them all is the woman who created Butterfly. She has changed her name, her accent, even her face to hide her true identity. And now she is about to reveal everything to realize the dream that has driven her since childhood—the secret obsession that will carry her beyond ecstasy, or destroy her and everyone around her.