In Love with Romance

The Siren

The Siren - Tiffany Reisz Tiffany Reisz gives you a story within a story within a story. You'd have to read it so you'd know what I mean.

I read somewhere The Siren was being compared to Fifty Shades of Grey, and in my opinion there is no comparison to Fifty Shades. I've read both, and I can say that The Siren is unique in its own way. This goes beyond just BDSM. The story really focuses on the things people do for love.

Nora is this well known erotica writer who's come up with a book that is sure to outsell her previous works, and those of other authors. The problem is getting Zach, the editor of editors to take her on. Obviously, he doesn't want to even consider it. It seems that to Zach acceeding to take her on is almost as if it were a demotion-- which is not.

The bigger issue between Nora and Zach is their personality. Nora never takes no for an answer, and neither does Zach. He doesn't want to spend any of his precious time with her, but getting her to understand that proves much harder than if he just accepts to work with her. Her book needs a lot of work to make it shine like the diamond he believes it can be, so he finally concedes after they both agree to some ground rules (use your imagination).

On the surface Nora is this strong, don't mess with me kind of woman, yet inside she's this soft, loving, caring, gal whose heart's been shattered by her one and only true love. You have to really be into the story to understand why she copes the way she does. I think for people who aren't into BDSM it may be hard to understand. Gosh I had to really focus to understand why Nora did certain things.

For Nora pain goes beyond pleasure. It is love. In my frame of reference this is sorta messed up (I'm a cry baby when it comes to pain), but in Nora's case, she embraces it not because she likes it (she does), but because this is what she knows. This is what, Soren, the love of her life taught her, what he likes; it is his way of showing how much she means to him, how much he loves her. It sounds pretty f*cked up, no? Then again, as you read the story, you understand their love story. What brought them together, their love for each other.

I hated Soren at first, but then I kinda liked him. Nora and Soren love each other so much, that they're willing to give up the one piece they know sets them apart, if that means they can be together. Yet they know that if they allow the other to give up what makes him/her, even though they'd be together, they won't be happy with themselves.

Zach has his own demons to fight. He's hopelessly in love with his wife, but they're now apart. It kills him not knowing whether his wife loves him or not, and whether he'll be served with divorce papers any time now. Meeting Nora rocks his world in ways he never knew could be. He's not a vanilla guy, he likes it a bit rough-- and spending time with Nora liberates him, and makes him realize where he's been wrong. It's as if Nora wakes him up from his dormant state.

Then, there is Wesley, who's Nora's intern. Even though he's in love with her, he's resigned to be her best friend. He is always there for her unconditionally. Oh Nora wants him, but she knows she can't have him. Truth be told, who wouldn't want Wesley? He's such a sweet guy, who soon will turn into this man (and what a man he'll be). At times in the story, I wanted to reach out and hug him. He needs his own story, that's all I'm saying.

The story continues... and I am curious to know what happens next...

The Siren is a modern-day retelling of My Fair Lady with uptight English literary fiction editor Zachary Easton as an unwilling Professor Higgins and well-known wild child Nora Sutherlin as his erotica-writing Eliza Doolittle. Zach only has six weeks left at Royal House New York before he heads to Los Angeles to take over as Chief Managing Editor at Royal West. When his boss orders him to help Nora Sutherlin rewrite her latest novel, Zach agrees to work with her only if he is given complete control over the fate of her book. If Nora doesn’t rewrite it to his satisfaction in six weeks, Royal won’t publish it.