In Love with Romance

Selling Out

Selling Out - Amber Lin Selling Out is book # 2 of The Lost Girls series by Amber Lin. The first book in the series, Giving It Up, was hot and dealt with issues that some may think a bit strong and even a little on the dark side. When I got Selling Out I imagined it’d be about the same as book 1 in the series. Oh boy, was I wrong? Selling Out is darker than the first book and it isn’t because of the sex. There are some hot sex scenes, which put it right with erotic romance but it is not exactly that.
In this book, Amber Lin, touches upon real life scenarios, the kind of subjects that many people may not want to talk about or read about. She does it in a way that draws you into the story, making it feel real in some instances, yet reminding the reader that it is fiction. Nonetheless the subjects are strong.
To give you a flavor, this book touches upon incest, rape, prostitution, and drugs. It doesn’t go into details on the more touchy parts, but it gives enough that you can feel for the characters, want them to resolve their issues, and be happy.
I have to say the piece that shocked me was Luke’s past. Goodness, I wanted to reach out and hug him. It broke my heart to read what had happened to him, I didn’t want it to be true. I thought: Amber, come on! You can’t do this. Please tell me it’s not true.
Even though this book is part of a series, it can be read as a stand alone book.
This book isn’t for the faint of heart. If you have issues reading about the subjects this book touches, do not read it. If you don’t have issues, you’re in for a pleasant read.