In Love with Romance

Wicked Nights

Wicked Nights - Gena Showalter 4.5 stars

A gorgeous Angel, a horrible Demon, and a beautiful woman…

Before now I had never read anything by Gena Showalter. I don’t really read a lot about angels and demons mixed with romance, BUT I must admit Wicked Nights wow’d me.

Zacharel is an Angel no one dares mess with. Demons fear him. If they are ever captured by an Angel, they can only hope is never Zacharel.

Zacharel is the leader of a heavenly army of rebels. Oh don’t get me wrong, they’re a bunch of rebels who do good. What makes them mavericks is their hurtful past, each of them has a story they rather not tell. Their past has hardened them, and as a result they hardly ever listen to orders, they pretty much do as they wish—and this is what gets them all into trouble with Zacharel. Although he is a ruthless angel, he’s broken hearted by the loss of his brother. He’s never been able to get over it. Because of his own pain, he tries to understand the angels he’s in charge of, except he doesn’t appreciate that every time something goes wrong it’s his head is on the chopping block.

Unlike other angels, Zacharel never gives into the cravings of the flesh (oh my, you’ve no idea the things he has never done!!!), his focus is on finishing up his last assignment. He’s determined to reform all the angels under his charge, as not doing so is not an option. He certainly doesn’t want to lose his wins, and that very thing could happen any time if things don’t get better, and the angels start to follow his orders one by one.

He’s on assignment, and watches how all these horrible creatures (demons) fight over each other to get inside an institution. Seeing that things are not going quite well, he decides to step in. Little does he know that stepping in to save the day will turn his world upside down. Yes, that’s right!

Annabelle is a beautiful woman, who was accused of a terrible crime. No one believes her truth instead everyone thinks she’s crazy. She sees, talks and fights things other humans can’t see. The more this happens, the crazier everyone thinks she is. She’s not about to give in without putting up a fight. She’s exhausted, and is almost resigned to her fate, when suddenly Zacharel comes to her rescue. She thinks herself hallucinating then realizes Zacharel is as real as the Demons she fights. The last thing she expects is for Zacharel to help her, and when he does, the only thing she can think of is how far she can run away and hide. Never does it cross her mind that their paths are meant to merge.

OMG! I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. Not only are Zacharel and Annabelle likable characters, they are so incredibly believable. The conflict with the dark forces, how they are always on the run, the powers of the rivers of life and death, the clouds, goodness, I can go on and on. Zacharel's possessiveness and love for Annabelle, and her love for Zacharel is wonderful. The favor Zacharel calls from the Lord of the Underworld is excellent. And then the choices and that twist about… um, yes… sorry, you will need to read the book to know about the twist, all I can say is: it is incredible. That infamous twist made my eyes pop, and think “ooh wow, what will… how about… oh no, please don’t, yes do that….”

Wicked Nights is an excellent summer read.

Leader of the most powerful army in the heavens, Zacharel has been deemed nearly too dangerous, too ruthless--and if he isn't careful, he'll lose his wings. But this warrior with a heart of ice will not be deterred from his missions at any cost...until a vulnerable human tempts him with a carnal pleasure he's never known before.

Accused of a crime she did not commit, Annabelle Miller has spent four years in an institution for the criminally insane. Demons track her every move, and their king will stop at nothing to have her. Zacharel is her only hope for survival, but is the brutal angel with a touch as hot as hell her salvation--or her ultimate damnation?