In Love with Romance

Thief of Shadows

Thief of Shadows - Elizabeth Hoyt This is the first book I've ever read by Elizabeth Hoyt. I wasn't thrilled by Thief of Shadows but I wasn't disappointed either, it just wasn't the type of story I was expecting it to be. Regardless, it turned out to be a solid story line with likable and believable characters.

Winter is such a likeable man and with such a big heart, always putting others first no matter the circumstance. His love for kids, making sure they have a roof over their heads, and food on their table is amazing, and what I think made this a good story. He always hides his true identity behind a mask, and wanders in alleys in the wee hours of the night, hoping to save children from being exploited by bad men.

Lady Beckinhall likes Winter and thinks his cause is commendable and she wants to help. She's also very well aware of the effect he has on her. He can be poor, but his looks make up for his lack of funds, and his big heart make up for everything else. She tries to ignore the attraction until she discovers he's not the man everyone thinks he is. And when she discovers he's a...well, a virgin...temptation to teach him knocks on her door.

The one thing I never expected to find in the story was a virgin hero. A VIRGIN HERO! Why, why, oh, why? While some may find this a nice twist, different from many other romances, a virgin hero for me just doesn't cut it. Sorry. Nope. It just doesn't work for me. Then again, I can't fault the story for that or give it a lower rating, because truth be told, it is a nice read.

Winter Makepeace lives a double life. By day he's the stoic headmaster of a home for foundling children. But the night brings out a darker side of Winter. As the moon rises, so does the Ghost of St. Giles-protector, judge, fugitive. When the Ghost, beaten and wounded, is rescued by a beautiful aristocrat, Winter has no idea that his two worlds are about to collide.

Lady Isabel Beckinhall enjoys nothing more than a challenge. Yet when she's asked to tutor the Home's dour manager in the ways of society-flirtation, double-entendres, and scandalous liaisons-Isabel can't help wondering why his eyes seem so familiar-and his lips so tempting.

During the day Isabel and Winter engage in a battle of wills. At night their passions are revealed . . . But when little girls start disappearing from St. Giles, Winter must avenge them. For that he might have to sacrifice everything-the Home, Isabel . . . and his life.